Adoptions are particularly dear to Dr. George Gatgounis’ heart. He remarks, “It seems the only time people come out of family court smiling is when there is an adoption.”
Who Can Adopt?
Any resident of South Carolina may adopt a child. A nonresident may adopt only when:
- The child is a specials needs child;
- There has been public notoriety concerning the child or the child’s family;
- The child is to be placed for adoption with a relative related either biologically or by marriage;
- At least one adoptive parent is in the military service stationed in South Carolina;
- Unusual circumstances make it in the best interest of the child to be placed elsewhere.
Who Can Be Adopted?
Any child or adult present within the state at the time the petition for adoption is filed can be adopted.
Advice and legal direction can be the most precious thing you need — especially in a crisis. Whether you are facing serious criminal charges, suffered a serious injury, or facing family and domestic issues, Gatgounis Law & Consulting Firm believes that you have a right to justice in a court of law. Whether your case is simple or complex, our experienced staff is here to help you. To set up an initial consultation about your individual case, call us at (843) DO IT LAW.